Summary: This article will discuss what the Budget Set Up Action Type is used for and how to create it. This Action Item was featured in our Sept, 2021 Super User Webinar. To watch that webinar, visit Budget Setup Action Item - Sept, 2021 Webinar
This action type can be used to track the status of an association's budget and reminder the respective roles to do their parts of the budget process. It does not make changes to an association's budget. Use the Action Items > All Action Items screen to filter by status of Budget Set Up action items. This gives quick access to see what associations budgets are Complete, with the board for review, etc.
To create a Budget Set Up action type in your database, navigate to the Settings > Action Types/Steps screen and click + New Action Type as shown below.
Fill out the information in the Edit window that pops up.
- Category - Standard
- Action Type - Budget Set Up
- Send To - Whichever roles need to be be available to select in the Send To and Reply To fields. Some recommendations are below.
- Global Administrator
- Regional Manager
- Accounting Manager
- Administrator Role - Leave as 0
- Action Type Requirement - Require Association
Click Update to save the new action type.
After creating the action type, you will need to add steps and rules. For more information on how to add steps to an action type, visit the Adding a Step to an Action Type article. Like the other action types in Vantaca, the Budget Set Up action type is highly configurable. The basic configuration that Vantaca recommends is shown below.
- Create Budget - Send to Manager - Reply to Manager
- This does not create a budget in the system. It serves as a reminder to the Manager to create the budget for that association.
- Budget Proposal - Send to Board - Auto-Advance to Board Review.
- This step should include the Proposed Annual Budget report.
- Board Review - Send to Board - Reply to Manager - Board decision to Approve or Decline.
- Budget Board Approved - Send to Manager - Reply to Manager - Next Step if Yes Option on the Board Review step.
- Budget Board Declined - Send to Manager - Reply to Manager - Next Step if No option on the Board Review step.
- Additional Info Needed- Send to Manager - Reply to Manager - Next Step if No option on the Board Review step.
- Accountant Finalize Budget - Send to Accountant, Accounting Manager - Reply to Manager
- Budget On Hold - Reply to Manager
- Budget Complete - Closing Step
- Void - Closing Step
For more detailed information on the available rules, and questions to ask yourself, visit the following articles.
After creating the steps and rules for the Budget Set Up action type, Budget Set Up action items can either be created from the Association Calendar or the Association List. Using the calendar, the creation of the Budget Set Up action items can be automated on a given date/time for each association. Using the association list, the Budget Set Up action item can be manually created per association or for multiple associations by creating a bulk action item. Visit the Association Calendar Instructions and/or the How to Create Action Items from the Homeowner or Association List pages (Bulk Action Item Creation) articles for more information on both of those processes.